|How to Use Your HRA
Your HRA: The Essentials
Your HRA is governed by IRS regulations that details who is eligible to use the account and what, where and how the money in it is to be used. Your HRA was designed to be simple. To keep it that way, it's important to comply with the IRS regulations that govern the program. The following guidelines will help you avoid any inconvenience.
- Make sure account funds are only spent on those who are eligible. Typically, those eligible are you, your spouse and your eligible dependents.
- Know what expenses are eligible. Log in to your account at www.wageworks.com for a complete list of your employer's eligible health care expenses. Generally, eligible health care expenses include services and products that are medically necessary to treat a specific condition.
- Keep your receipts. Save receipts that describe exactly what you paid for and when, just like you would to deduct them on your taxes. Learn more...
- Watch where you shop. If using a WageWorks Health Care Card, shop only at general merchandise stores or pharmacies that have an IRS-approved inventory system in place. Visit www.sigis.com for the most updated list of approved merchants.
- Keep an eye on your HRA account. Watch your online statements to see if you need to verify any Card purchases with receipts, or check www.wageworks.com for the latest information.
- Register for an online account at www.wageworks.com. When you register online and provide a current email address, you ensure that you will have 24/7 access to your account and funds. You’ll also receive important email updates, such as claims-status notifications.
Manage Your Account
You can manage and check up on your WageWorks account either online or over the phone.
For the latest information, visit www.wageworks.com and log in to your account 24/7. In addition to reviewing your most recent HRA activity, you can:
Use your WageWorks Card
Your WageWorks Health Care Card is only for use at health care providers and pharmacies and general merchandise stores that have an IRS-approved system that can identify HRA eligible items at the register. In most instances, your Card transaction will be automatically verified at checkout, which means you will not have to submit a receipt to WageWorks after the transaction. You are, however, required to keep each receipt for tax purposes, and in the event it is needed for verification.
- When you swipe your Card at the checkout, choose "credit" (even though it isn't a credit card).
- Go to www.sigis.com to review a list of qualified merchants that accept the Card.
- Pay for services or purchases on the same day you receive them. If your health plan covers a portion of the cost, make sure you know what amount you need to pay before using the WageWorks Health Care Card, by presenting your health plan member ID card first, so the merchant can identify your co-pay or coinsurance amount and ensure the service is claimed to your health care, dental, or vision insurance plan.
- Save your receipts. Even when your Card is approved, a detailed receipt may still be requested; your statement will have a Card Use Verification form at the front and will let you know what to do.
- If you've lost or can't produce a receipt for an expense, your options may range from submitting a substitute receipt to paying back the plan for the amount of the transaction.
- If you use your Card at a doctor's or dentist's office we will most likely ask you to submit a receipt for verification. Failure to do so may result in your Card being suspended.
- If you lose your Card, please call WageWorks immediately to report your missing Card and order a new one. You will be responsible for any charges until you report the lost Card.
You can pay many of your eligible health care and dependent care expenses directly from your HRA account with no need to fill out paper forms. It's quick, easy, secure and available online at any time. Review the Claim and Card Use Verification Checklist.
To pay a provider:
- Log in to your HRA account at www.wageworks.com.
- Click "Submit receipt or Claim."
- Request "Pay My Provider" for health care and follow the instructions.
- When you're done, WageWorks will send a check directly from your account. If you pay for eligible recurring expenses follow the online instructions to set up automatic monthly payments.
File a claim
If you'd prefer to submit a paper claim form to request reimbursement for your eligible expenses, choose the "Pay Me Back' option.
- Go to www.wageworks.com and download a Health Care Pay Me Back claim form.
- Fill in all the information requested on the form, attach your receipts, sign it, and follow the instructions to fax or mail it. (A receipt or an explanation of benefits from your insurance carrier outlining what the service was that you incurred, for whom the service was provided, and how much you paid for the service, will be required along with your claim form.)
- To speed processing, remember to save receipts that show exactly what you paid for and when.
- Most claims are processed within one to two days after they are received and payments are sent shortly thereafter.