Sorry, you can only change you election if you meet any of these special circumstances, which are determined by the IRS:
- A change in marital status (such as marriage, divorce or death of your spouse)
- A change in the number of your dependents (such as birth or adoption of a child, or death of a dependent)
- A change in employment status of you, your spouse, or dependent
- An event that causes your dependent to satisfy or cease to satisfy an eligibility requirement for a particular benefit
- A change in residence of you, your spouse, or dependent
- A change in cost in coverage
If you believe you qualify for a change of your election, please contact your employer. And if your employer offers carryover, don't forget you can carry over up to $500 of unused funds into the next plan year, so you won't lose them, even if you don't spend them in the first year.